Sunday, July 02, 2006

A Day in the Life of Krystal in the Kountry
Children of the Corn

We have a corn field next to us. I was walking past it a few nights ago at late dusk when I thought to myself, "Hey, that corn is so high that someone could hide in it." Then I remembered that Stephen King story "Children of the Corn". It creeped me out. I had to force myself to keep my normal walking pace and convince myself that no one was going to jump out of the corn and chase me down with a scythe or sickle.
THE corn field of THE children

When I was safely past the corn field, I looked around at the dense trees and brush that now engulfed me. While walking between them in the now total darkness, I heard the night creatures rustling the grasses and leaves. A new thought came to me: Someone could have tracked me through the corn, ducked behind the barn and then darted into the woods right beside me!
Where the critters hide. At night it's creepy alone.
I start telling myself, "Stop being such a woman! Get it together!" Just then, as though on cue, a bat dive bombed my head! I kid you not! I covered myself with my arms, ducked and screamed.
I ran up the rest of that hill to my house and locked the door behind me.

The End

6 comments:

BostonPobble said...

My friends tease me because I will walk through the city late, late at night (or early, early morning, depending on your POV) by myself and not bat an eye. But walk through the countryside when no one else is around... *shudder* THAT'S scary!

eyes_only4him said...

damn,keep your cats in the house..that is pretty damn creepy looking

Jean said...

HA HA HA HA HA!
and you wanted to live in the country. May I point out that I have never been dive-bombed by a bat downtown! LOL

diva out.

Twisted Lady said...

Oh hell no! I woulda nevah walked through there alone. Day or night. I am chicken shit.

I totally remember Children Of The Corn!

asdfasdfasdf said...

Oh man! Funny stuff. I too am such a woman and always think something is 'out to get me'. I'm afraid of the dark too.. hehehe.. Cute story..

Children of the corn was scary!

Jeffrey L Watts said...

Hey Krystal! I see you haven't posted since July 2. Hope all is well.