Thursday, October 05, 2006

House Flood and Lassie's Replacement: My Dog Kaitlyn AKA Dumb Ass (See Previous Post)

Okay, before I tell you about my day yesterday, I will explain to you why I am up at 4:20 in the morning blogging.

You see, I went to bed nice and all around 9:30, but at 2:00 this morning I start to hear the pitter patter of little feet upstairs in the boys' room. Their floor is my ceiling. I figure one of them is going to the bathroom. And one of them did come downstairs to use the facilities (why they have to use the downstairs bathroom will come next). Now begins the potty parade as one by one the three younger boys all come down to use the bathroom. Then they take one of the dogs and the cat into their room. The dog and the cat start chasing each other back and forth in the room which is over my bed (except I didn't know the cause of the hoopla until a bit later). Finally at 3:11 I got my ass out of bed and went up to tell them to shut. the. hell. up. I kicked the animals out of the room.


All is well, I can now attempt to go back to sleep. My mind and body had a difficult time settling back down. I had JUST dozed off when I hear Kaitlyn start up with her Lassie immitation outside. WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! BARK! BARK! BARK! Being as we live next to a wildlife refuge, I grab my flashlight and head out to see what was going on. "What's wrong, Girl? What? You say that little Timmy is stuck in a well?!?!?! OH NO!" She had the scent of something. I did the obligatory scanning of the woods with my flashlight, but I never saw an animal out there. Although with the dense woods it's not like the flashlight is going to make it visible anyhow. I simply call the dogs up to the porch, assure them that they're great and wonderful blah, blah, blah... Can I go back to bed now? Except I can't sleep.

So here I sit blogging.

Okay, the House Flood

I'm up at my friend's (the only other house on this road) when I receive a phone call from my son. He tells me that the toilet upstairs overflode and is still running. Yeah, yeah, yeah, toilet's back up and there some water on the floor, I'm on my way. Except when I get upstairs, instead of the little overflow I was expecting, there's an inch and a half, maybe two inches of water on the floor. The toilet backed up and the flapper got stuck in the up position and the toilet ran full flow...for about 30-40 minutes.


Of course I immediately turned off the water valve behind the toilet. Not in time, however, to prevent the water from the UPSTAIRS bathroom to seap through the floor and come out of the ceiling and pour in a steady stream into the DOWNSTAIRS bathroom, which now had a good inch of water in.

And of COURSE this water went through the floor and had a steady stream flowing into, you got it, Baby! the basement!!! WEEEEEEEEE!!!


So I got out my handy dandy carpet cleaner and sucked up the water from upstairs. Then I sucked out the water from downstairs and will have to try sucking more water from the basement. You see, while the bathrooms have linoleum in them, the basement has this stuff on the floor called...CARPET...which is now damp with...toilet water...

We did end up using just about all of my ten of our our extra large size fluffy white towles to clean up the meass as well. So they were washed in hot water and bleach last night. I guess there will be no shower for me this morning when...ever...I might have showered when I got up.

If I were actually still asleep.


Six Bushels of Apples


A friend gave me six bushels of apples yesterday afternoon. To give you an idea of how much that is (I wish I had my camera), it's four large rectangle laundry baskets, a large box and two paper bags from the grocery store. I will be busy making apple butter, apple rings, spiced apple ring, applesauce, etc, for the next three days.

'Nough said. I guess I should go ahead and start making the kids' lunches now. Makes no sense to try to sleep now when I'll just have to get up in another hour anyway to get the kids to the bus by 7:00.

3 comments:

BostonPobble said...

Okay. I know it wasn't funny at the time. I know this. But I'm laughing my ass off here. Thanks.

Old Man Crowder said...

Whoa, that sounds like quite the adventure.

Nothing like sucking up shit-water in a vacuum into the wee-hours of the night!

You know what you should do? You should take a break from that muck and go get your digital camera fixed.

Do I hafta say "Please?"

Twisted Lady said...

Mmmm... carmel apples.