Monday, June 05, 2006

A Day in the Life of Krystal in the Kountry
This is a woodchuck, AKA a groundhog.

So why am I posting a picture of one? Because I had one of these suckers run out in front of my van yesterday afternoon. I screamed and slammed my breaks! The cute little guy ran under the van between the front and back axles (while it was still moving) and made it through to the other side UNSCATHED. He was a quick li'l critter!

Of course, I wasn't sure if he was alright or not immediately. I didn't see a smooshed corpse in the road, but for all I knew the cuddly little thing made it across the road and then dropped dead of a heart attack upon reaching his destination. Or maybe I just hit part of him and he was able to make it across the country road through shear momentum. I had to make sure, for peace of mind you know. I didn't want the guilt of taking this brown fuzz ball's life for no reason. I don't mind killing an animal for food. That's okay. However, killing an animal and leaving it is not okay. I really REALLY wanted this animal to not be hurt. I wasn't in the mood to scoop up roadkill, I don't know how to skin a woodchuck, and I have no recipes for Road Kill Stew. So I made a five-point-turn (that's what it takes in a gas-guzzling vehicle like mine on a back country road) so I could check. I didn't see him anywhere. So now I'm driving a ways in the opposite direction I need to go in so I could find an area of road that's straight and not curving and isn't between hills so I could turn around again without fear of being rammed by a speeding pick up truck, of which there are plenty.
And most of them are red.

Eventually I found a place to turn my vehicle around. I was totally THRILLED upon my return to find the sweet thing eating on the side of the road. The groundhog was fine. WHEW! I really needed to know that or else I would have worried all night about the poor thing. He was so adorable! He did take off once he recognized my huge mammoth mode of transportation coming back at him. I guess he figured that The Thing almost got him once and he wasn't taking another chance at "Crossing the Road Russian Roulette". THE THING is a formidable opponent (or so the tale goes with the lovable fury woodland creatures). I was happy to watch him run off into the woods nearby knowing he was going to be okay.

I truly hope that your day is a little brighter now that I've shared a wee bit of joy from A Day in the Life of Krystal in the Kountry.

5 comments:

Twisted Lady said...

I seriously think those animals do it for the adrenaline rush....

The Bizza said...

I'm glad you missed the little critter.

But seriously... road-kill stew? You're just fuckin with my head, right? Just playing another joke on the city-slicker, eh?

Tell me you're joking, right now! I need to hear it!

eyes_only4him said...

r u sure he was eating and not frantically trying to shove his organs back in?

:)

Krystal said...

blog whore, adrenaline rush, eh? Sorta like people who bungie jump off tall bridges.

B.J., you've never had road kill stew? If you take any animal and gut it within ten-fifteen minutes of death you can eat it (you have to slit it from neck to public bone and let all of the entrails fall out or else toxins get into the meat). Wild meat is best stewed slowly to tenderize the meat a bit.

bossy, I guess I should have checked a bit closer to make sure. If that were the case, we could have cooked him up for dinner! I keep carrots, potatoes and onions on hand for situations just like that.

BostonPobble said...

I do the same thing. The thought of having hit something is awful to me. The thought of leaving it hurt is worse. *sniff* Glad everyone was okay!